Monday, July 31, 2006

Superb Japanese Cheesecake

Japanese Cheesecake is always in my list of "must try to bake" list. As I was really bored this afternoon, out of a sudden, I felt like making Japanese Cheesecake. I searched the net for recipes, looking carefully at each recipe and also the comments given. I finally decided that I'm going to use Irene Oon's recipe. Knowing that I didn't have some of the ingredients listed, I dragged myself to the supermarket. Lucky that it's kind of cloudy, so I didn't have to bare with the heat.

Waited for 2 hours for this cake to be ready, I am proudly very very satisfied with this 1st trial. Perhaps the cake should be ready after 1 hr and 10 minutes, but when I tested it with long sate stick, it didn't come out real clean. After 2 hours, the top had browned to the tone that is similar to those bakeries' kind. I tested it again with the stick, still not real clean. Sigh... I decided to give the tempting cake a try as if the cake was sreaming at me, "Try me, try me!". Took out the springform and I was a bit of disappointed as it doesn't look very done. Heck, I sliced a piece and put a spoonful into my mouth. Heavennnnnnnnnnn..... it melts in my mouth, just like those sold, hm... even better perhaps. I am all smiles as I aced it this time... Thank you Irene for sharing this marvelous recipe. Over here I changed the Irene's recipe a little.

250 g of Philladelphia Cream Cheese
50 g of butter
100 ml milk
6 egg yolks
40 g of cornflour
50 g of plain four
juice fr 1/4 of lemon
lemon zest

Heat cream cheese and butter under high heat in the microwave to soften the cream cheeese. Make sure that the cream cheese are well mixed. Some sites recommend to blend the cream cheese with the butter but I didn't. Add in milk. When cold, fold in egg yolks, flour, lemon juice and the zest. Put aside.

6 egg whites
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
140 g sugar

Beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Follow by sugar and keep mixing until soft peaks are formed.
Fold in the cream cheese mixture and continue beating with slow speed until the batter is well combine. Do not over mixed. Pour into a 20cm springform pan. Wrap the springform pan with really wet towel as recommended by Rachel. Bake with until toothpick comes out clean.

You could glaze the top with some jam as well
1 tbs of jam (any kind, I used strawberry)
1 tbs of water
Mix them well and glaze over the cake top when cake is cold.

Note: After reading Rachel's experiences in making japanese cheesecake, I decided to use the towel method instead. You could perhaps use bain marrie method, do tell me the result.

Try this, try this recipe! :)

2 Comments:

Blogger Pille said...

I'll try it:) Have never heard of a Japanese cheesecake, so I'm very curious.
Sorry to hear that Blogger didn't want to post your pictures - happens to me every now and then and it's sooooo frustrating!

7:52 pm  
Blogger duckiekitchen said...

Hi Pille,
Yes, try it out and tell me about the result:)
Now,I upload my photos 1st before I write the post, so I won't get disappointed if they wouldn't appear...
Your photo of cloudberries are fantastic! I haven't seen cloudberries in my entire life...:)

1:52 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home