Saturday, July 29, 2006

Kastengel

Kastengel is a type of Indonesian savoury cookies, popular during festive period. From the name itself, it doesn't sound and look like an Indonesian word. These cookies are apparently brought in by the Dutch, thus are known as this rather weird word. The real recipe calls for Dutch cheese: Edam Cheese.

It's an irony that though Kastengel is very popular in Indonesia, Mum never ever made this. As far as I remember, I had not had these cookies until I was in Sydney, when my flatmate offered me some. My family is not a big fan on cookies and cakes. We have them mostly during Chinese New Year. Our family "must have" are: Lapis Legit, Lapis Surabaya, Nastar and Cashew Cookies and Kastengel never appears in the list.

After that 1st testing, I tried to made Kastengel from the recipe I retrieved from the net. Argh.... it's way too much of work to roll the dough and to shape them into rectangular shape. Luckily, my other lovely flatmate A, helped me out a bit. The taste was fantastic.

Here in Singapore, I made some yesterday. To my surprised, my siblings don't like it a bit!!! Both complained that it tastes so weird, too flour-ie, and "why it's all salty but not sweet?", "what kind of cookies are these?"...the questions go on... So I must say, though my flatmates, my fellow Indonesians love these, but not my siblings... they are just not used to the taste, perhaps cookies for them are supposed to be sweet:) Perhaps the next time I am making Kastengel, I will add some sugar.

This recipe yields 2 medium containers. If you are new to Kastangel, I suggest that you try half of the recipe first to test your tastebud:)

(this is my style of shaping the Kastengel, I just pinched a small amount, and didn't bother to shape them into rectangular shapes:) )

500 g of butter
1/2 tsp salt
700 g of plain flour (more if needed)
2 egg yolks
250 g of Edam Cheese, I used White Cheddar (shredded)

2 egg yolks for brushing

Cream butter with salt until creamy. Add in yolk one by one. Mix flour and cheese. If it's still wet, add a little more flour. Shape into rectangular 8mmx25mmx6mm. Brush with yolk. Bake until it's golden.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just tried this recipe. It is superb. Columbus-Ohio

12:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am actually baking and selling for CNY from 2007 to now... and still many think cookies supposed to be sweet... but I dont care just bake and sell to Cheese lovers only :P... this year, I am planning to take baking off due to recession period still on... but to my surprise 2 indo friends called up and order Kaastengel for 3 tubs... u may email to suniaraja@yahoo.com.sg to order if u are to lazy to bake and to taste nicer version. MERDEKA :!!!

10:45 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home