Saturday, July 22, 2006

Fried Wonton

While I was studying in Sydney, I had 2 Thai flatmates who cook very well. I learnt lots from them, especially O. I remember that she has a friend, B who cooks even better. They cooked us a nice spread of dinner once. One that I would never forget is the Curry Sauce Salmon Fish. It's not the typical curry which comes with soup. This one is slightly dry, with a touch of coconut cream on top. Very spicy and yummy.

Another dish that I learnt from O is the Tom Yum Goong aka Tom Yum Soup. Mind you this is real Tom Yum, made from scracth, no commercial Tom Yum paste. I would elaborate further on this next time when I have the chance to cook this dish.

Having to stay with 2 Thais, I found out they love to make fried wonton. From O, I heard that her mum would make this as little snack in the late afternoon. They would eat the crispy wonton with their favourite brand of Thai Sweet Chilli.

Anyway, enough said, here is my style of fried wonton.




25 pieces of wonton skin120 g of minced pork
5 tbs of chopped chinese celery or chinese parsley is ok too
5 fresh waterchestnut (skinned and chopped roughly)
1 tbs sesame oil
1 tsp pepper
1/2 salt

some mayonaise for dipping

Marinate the minced pork with sesame oil, pepper, salt, chopped chinese celery and waterchestnut. Leave for 15 minutes. Take a small teaspoon of the meat mixture and wrap it with wonton skin. Deep fry with hot oil.

Note: Use only fresh waterchestnut. I used the canned one once as it's hard to find the fresh one in Sydney, it tasted weird. Perhaps you could substitute that with Chinese turnip/yam bean/bengkuang.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like thai food too! i want to make shrimp salad soon!

daging sandung lamur nih kalo gak salah daging yang gak terlalu banyak minyaknya, tapi bukan daging has. daging sapi loh non..., cari aja yg kayak rump roast begitu, daging paha gitu. ngerebusnya cukup lama spy empuk

3:06 pm  
Blogger duckiekitchen said...

"i like thai food too! i want to make shrimp salad soon!

daging sandung lamur nih kalo gak salah daging yang gak terlalu banyak minyaknya, tapi bukan daging has. daging sapi loh non..., cari aja yg kayak rump roast begitu, daging paha gitu. ngerebusnya cukup lama spy empuk"

Hehe... kiraiin itu daging ayam:) biasanya soto kan pake ayam... hehe..Thank you...

5:24 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home